It’s not news to anyone in the hospitality industry smartphone use among travelers is on the rise. To drive direct bookings, it’s no longer enough just to have a website. You need a site that works across all devices, because:
- In the first 6 months of 2014, nearly 16% of hotel bookings came from tablets and mobile devices. That’s an increase of 86%.
- Revenue from mobile bookings has gone up 123%.
- Visits to hotel websites by people on desktop computers decreased 16%
- Visits to hotel websites by people on mobile have gone up 51%.
- Mobile bookings are up 86%
- 42% of leisure travelers downloaded a travel app because the brand mobile site was not satisfactory.
- It’s not all smartphones: 40% of tablet owners are interested in making a booking on their device.
The mobile revolution isn’t coming, it’s here. Hotels with mobile-friendly booking engines will find themselves with higher occupancy than those that don’t.
To see an infographic about how travelers use smartphones to research and book, click the image below.